List of Pakistanis in the leaked Pandora Papers. The Pandora Papers contains 12 million documents, images, emails, and spreadsheets that reveal hidden wealth, tax, and money laundering by some of the world’s wealthiest and most powerful people.
What are Pandora Papers?
The Pandora Papers investigation is the world’s largest journalistic collaboration ever. Overall, the inquiry is based on the exposure of secret records from offshore service providers who provide professional services to the elites that are looking to establish shell companies, trusts, foundations, and other entities in low- or no-tax jurisdictions. The entities allow owners to hide their names from the public and, in some cases, regulators. Yet, the providers frequently assist them in opening bank accounts in nations with poor financial regulations.
What exactly do we mean when we say “offshore”?
The Pandora Papers expose complicated cross-border networks of companies, which often result in secret ownership of money and assets.
Who has been revealed?
Pandora Papers revealed Key politicians, including federal cabinet officials and opposition party leaders that have owned offshore companies, secret accounts, tax havens, and offshore properties. The Pandora Papers are claimed to include the names of at least 700 Pakistanis. Most prominently, these include:
- Finance Minister Shaukat Tarin
- MD National Investment Trust Adnan Afridi
- Minister for Water Resources Moonis Elahi
- Senator Faisal Vawda
- Federal minister Khusro Bakhtiar’s family
- sugar mill owner Naveed Maghis Sheikh
- Tariq Shafi, a leading businessman
- Sharjeel Memon of PPP
- PML-N Senator Ishaq Dar’s son Ali Dar
- Punjab senior minister and PTI leader Abdul Aleem Khan
- President National Bank Arif Usmani
- Axact CEO Shoaib Sheik, among others.
Members of the military and their families
- Pervez Musharraf’s former military secretary
- ISI former DG for counter-terrorism Major General Nusrat Naeem
- NLC former DG Lt General Afzal Muzaffar’s son Hasan Muzaffar.
- Lt Col (R) Raja Nadir Pervez
- Shahnaz Sajjad Ahmad, daughter of a retired lieutenant general
- Ahad Khattak, son of the former Air Chief Marshal Abbas Khattak
- Umar Khattak, son of the former Air Chief Marshal Abbas Khattak
- Ahsan Latif, son-in-law of retired General Khalid Maqbool
- Zahra Tanvir, wife of Lt General (R) Tanvir Tahir
The names of international leaders mentioned in the Pandora Papers :
- The king of Jorden Abdullah ll
- Tony Blair, former prime minister of the UK
- Leaders of Ukraine, Kenya, and the Czech Republic
Is PM Imran Khan’s name mentioned in Pandora Papers?
PM Imran Khan’s name is not mentioned in Pandora documents; however, he welcomed the Pandora Papers exposing and promised to investigate all Pakistani named in Pandora papers.
Meanwhile, according to Chaudhry Fawad Hussain, the Federal Information Minister, the Pandora Leaks will discourage corruption and strengthen the PM’s position.